Kristin Reviews Call Me By Your Name

Call Me By Your Name


I would describe Call Me By Your Name as more of a lust story than a love story. In it, a 17-year-old boy (Timothée Chalamet) develops an infatuation with an older man (Armie Hammer, who is in his early 30s), and the two enter into what, from my perspective, is a fairly unhealthy sexual relationship. Not because they’re both men, but because Elio (Chalamet) is a teenager, and Oliver (Hammer) is a mature adult.

While I found the setting, characterizations, and languid, European atmosphere charming, I had a hard time understanding what Oliver saw in the young boy. Chalamet is attractive enough physically, but Elio is a teenager, plagued with that combination of insolence and insecurity that makes young adults both delightful and insufferable to be around. And when I say “delightful,” I don’t mean “sexually alluring.” I just mean delightful.

My favorite character in the film is Elio’s father (a great performance by Michael Stuhlbarg, who also appeared in Oscar nominees The Post and The Shape of Water this year), who seems to hold the entire film together with his consistently stable and wise presence.

I don’t think Call Me By Your Name is a worthy contender for Best Picture. It’s not a terrible movie, and craft-wise, it’s solid. But it’s also too long by at least 30 minutes and, in my opinion, the character motivation for the love affair is weak. Chalamet’s performance is truly inspired, though, and his nomination is 100% deserved.

Final Grade: B

-Kristin
2.17.18

Comments

Popular Posts