Kristin Reviews Inception

Kristin reviews Inception


A few days before I saw Inception, I had to sit through something awful. I don’t even remember what it was, but I do know that when it was over, I announced to everyone in my vicinity that I was offended to the deepest level of my soul by the absolute lack of quality in the script (not so much because it was written – it’s a scientific fact that many horrible scripts are written every minute – but more because somebody got paid for it).

As the credits began to roll at the end of Inception, I stood up and looked at my companions (who happened to comprise the group referenced as “everyone in my vicinity” in the previous paragraph) and announced, “THAT’S how you write a movie!”

In rare, and somewhat overwhelming, form, Christopher Nolan has yet to write a movie I did not think was brilliant. And I’ve even seen Following.

This is unprecedented. Even Joss Whedon, for whom I will carry a torch into eternity, has approved a few scripts that were disappointments (although, to his credit, all the scripts written specifically by him – and not rewritten by other writers or actors named Donald Sutherland – have fallen into the brilliant category as well).

Christopher Nolan not only knows how to write a solid, engaging, entertaining script, he knows how to bend the rules and get away with it.

Nolan tells stories that make audience members think. He creates characters that can be identified with and cared about. And he knows how to end a story properly, which, frankly, is a hell of a talent (I’m looking at you J.J. Abrams).

It’s difficult to go into too much detail about Inception without risking spoilers. I can say that no element of the film fails. The script is amazing, especially considering how complex the story is. All the performances are spot-on. The special effects are incredible to look at AND do not overshadow the rest of the film.

I could see Inception leading the race with the most nominations, simply because it is superb in every aspect of its technical creation.

-Kristin
7.13.2010

Comments

Popular Posts