Kristin Reviews Oscar Contenders for 2008

2008 Nominees


THE CHANGELING
The Changeling was really good ... up until it wasn't. The movie is compelling and emotionally moving, but it’s structurally flawed, which is terribly disappointing because it could have been so much better. Most people know the first act of a movie is the easiest to write and the second act the hardest. These screenwriters should have worked harder on the second act. And the third act. Basically, this script needed several more drafts before it was ready for production. What a mess! The nominations are all deserved, although I was disappointed that Jason Butler Harner was not nominated for his chilling performance as Gordon Northcott.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Although many people have told me they enjoyed Benjamin Button, I have to admit, I'm not sure why. The script was written by the same guy who wrote Forrest Gump, another crowd-pleaser that left me cold. I had hoped that a film about a guy living his life backwards would ultimately say something about the human condition. But The Curious Case of Benjamin Button seemed to just be a curious case – a ‘hey, look at the stuff this guy who lived backwards did’ spectacle – rather than an exploration of life and death and all the bits in between.

THE DARK KNIGHT
Okay, I admit it, I am both a science-fiction geek and a huge fan of Christopher Nolan’s work. So, the fact that I was already on the edge of my seat before the Warner Brothers logo appeared could suggest that I am somewhat biased here. But The Dark Knight is fantastic. A little long, admittedly, but such an entertaining ride it’s hardly noticeable. And, for the record, Heath Ledger’s performance is awe-inspiring. He would be deserving of the Oscar even if he were still alive.

DOUBT
I liked Doubt. I understand that it was adapted from a play with only three characters in it, and I believe they could have gotten away with writing the movie the same way and kept it equally compelling. I’d like to see the stage version to see how the story works with only the three principal roles, but even with the additional characters, the film is captivating and provocative.

FROST/NIXON
Ron Howard delivers another outstanding dramatization of an historic event, every bit as compelling as Apollo 13. Although many remember David Frost’s series of interviews with the recently resigned President Richard Nixon, the behind-the-scenes drama is still suspenseful, thanks to excellent writing, directing, and acting, and the conclusion is deeply moving. Definitely one of the year’s best.

FROZEN RIVER
It is too bad that little, independent films like this don’t get more exposure. I found Frozen River to be far more compelling and moving than most of the other nominated films. I think it would have received more nominations if more Academy members had seen it.

IN BRUGES
What a great movie! I was thrilled to see In Bruges nominated for a screenwriting award. It is one of the gems of the year. It is also, without a doubt, my favorite Colin Farrell performance, and I would have liked to have seen him nominated.

MILK
I must admit, I am surprised that Milk was nominated for Best Picture. It’s not a bad movie, but it’s not really a great one either. It tells a good story, but it moves a little slowly at times, and it fails to explore the relationship between Milk and his assassin, Dan White, adequately. Sean Penn’s performance is certainly deserving of the nomination, but I would argue that several other films were more deserving of the Best Picture nod.

RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
Anne Hathaway’s performance aside, Rachel Getting Married was one of the worst films I saw all year. I could have walked out, and I would not have missed a thing.

THE READER
I went into The Reader with my expectations skewed, and, as a result, did not appreciate it as much as I might have done otherwise. I expected it to be an exploration of Holocaust responsibility and guilt, but it’s really more of a romance. I felt the romance part of the movie went on too long, and the Holocaust responsibility and guilt part wasn’t deep enough. The performances were great, but I did not feel this was one of the best films of the year.

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
Overflowing with disappointment, anger, resentment, and disillusionment, the two main characters of Revolutionary Road suffer, and hurt each other, and suffer some more. And then the film ends. We never get a glimpse of what made these two people decide to get married or how they were together when they were happy. We only get the disintegration of their union. I wanted to feel something for these lost souls; I believe the filmmakers intended for me to feel something. But I walked away empty, wondering why I had no emotional response to what should have been a heartbreaking and moving story. In this respect, I consider the movie a failure. I should have felt something. But I never did.

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
Slumdog Millionaire is truly remarkable. The script is tightly written, the story is thoroughly engaging, and the characters and situations are uniquely moving. Danny Boyle, who makes a habit of selecting unusual projects, is well deserving of the nominations and the hype.

TROPIC THUNDER
Tropic Thunder is funniest when making fun of Hollywood, which it does brilliantly. Robert Downey Jr. is deserving of the Oscar – it’s too bad he’s up against Heath Ledger’s remarkable performance in Dark Knight.

VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA
Some people are Woody Allen fans and fawn over his every film, regardless of content or quality. I tend to find his work inconsistent. Some of his films are, indeed, brilliant and deserving of fawns. Others, in my opinion, fail miserably. Vicky Cristina Barcelona falls into neither of these categories. It is simply entertaining – no more and no less. Penelope Cruz’s performance is also simply entertaining and hardly seems worthy of an Oscar.

THE VISITOR
The Visitor was one of my favorite films of the year. I went into it with no idea what to expect, which is my favorite way to watch a movie. I did know that it was directed by the same guy who directed The Station Agent, so I felt pretty sure I would, at the very least, not be disappointed. I was not. The Visitor is even better than The Station Agent. I would have liked to have seen it receive more nominations.

WALL-E
Pixar can do no wrong. Here they’ve not only created an entertaining animated children’s movie, they’ve done it with a script featuring very little dialogue. Brilliant. The screenplay nomination is one of the most appropriate nominations of the season.

THE WRESTLER
Sometimes, when one hears a lot of hype and gushing praise for a film, it is impossible not to be disappointed upon finally viewing it. The Wrestler proves that sometimes the hype and praise are well-deserved. This is an extraordinary film – tightly written, subtly directed, and heartbreakingly moving. It should have been nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay. It is a masterpiece.

-Kristin
2.21.2009

Comments

Popular Posts